You have the ring on your finger and the date and venue picked out. Congratulations! Now onto the next order of business- the dress. It can be a bit over whelming (which has probably started to become a familiar feeling) because of all the different looks and styles offered. One way to help immediately narrow things down is by figuring out what will flatter you best.
I have laid out some wedding dress styles to help give you a basic idea of which style dress goes best with particular body types.
- The dress that gives that “fairy tale” feel, this dress is great for large, traditional weddings.
- It is ideal for a lot of body types, especially pear shapes because it accentuates the waist and flows out hiding the lower body
- Not great for shorter frames, this style can be over powering
- Mermaid (Trumpet)
- Fitted on the top and flares out at the bottom
- This style contours the body from the chest to the knee, accentuating curves
- Ideal for the hourglass body type who wants to show off their curves
- Looks good on slender, tall or short frames, or anyone who has curves they want to show off
- Sheath (Column)
- Dress has a narrow frame that flows straight down from the neckline to the hem
- Style can be unforgiving and reveal extra inches, usually best for petite or banana figures
- Good for hourglass figures if they’re willing to show off curves
- Sometimes brides create this dress with an empire waist which will accentuate the hips and add curves to a slender frame
- Tea Length (Ballerina)
- Skirt falls between the ankle and the knees
- Looks good on majority of body types
- Looks great with an empire waist or natural waistline to give the dress shape
- Non-traditional wedding dress style usually worn for casual, outdoor, summer or beach weddings
- Ideal for banana body types or anyone with killer legs
- Not ideal for plus sizes
We all have different and unique body types. That being said, keep in mind that wedding dress style that looked awesome on your best friend might not exactly be the most flattering style for you. Your goal should be to make you look like the best version of yourself, and wearing a dress that flatters your body shape. Wearing the right dress plays a huge role in making you feel comfortable and confident for your big day, so shop around and try different styles to see exactly what is right for you!